Saturday, January 19, 2008

It's the Birthday of Edgar Allan Poe

How long has it been since you read a story by Poe? Because I used to teach American literature, I got to talk about him and his work every semester. Most of my students found his work difficult to read, and they didn't much care for it. Which was strange to me because I remember how much both the stories and the poems appealed to me when I was young.

Update: Beth Foxwell points out that Eddie's not the only one with a birthday today.

Edgar Allan Poe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: "Edgar Allan Poe (January 19, 1809 – October 7, 1849) was an American poet, short-story writer, editor, and literary critic, and is considered part of the American Romantic Movement. Best known for his tales of mystery and the macabre, Poe was one of the earliest American practitioners of the short story and invented the detective-fiction genre. He is credited with contributing to the emerging genre of science fiction.[1] He was the first well-known American writer to try to earn a living through writing alone, resulting in a financially difficult life and career.[2]"

No comments: