Thursday, January 17, 2008

Dickie Lee Fox, R. I. P.

Most of you didn't know Dr. Fox. He was a colleague of mine at Alvin Community College and taught for me in the English Department. He was a six-foot-five ex-Marine (though in Dickie's mind there was no such thing as an ex-Marine) with a booming voice. He was the first person I saw when I set foot on the ACC campus in 1983. A week ago, he had a massive stroke. Today I attended his memorial service. There wasn't a vacant seat in the big church auditorium, and I was reminded again of how much Dickie had done in the community and for so many students. Some of his former students drove a long way to be there and show their respect to his family. He'll be missed.

If you want to read a little about this amazing guy,
click here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in the faculty lounge one morning visiting with one of our drama instructors. I was telling him how the performance arts teacher at an area high school was having a difficult time building a set for one if their more grandiose productions. I remember Dickie walking up and listening for a minute or so. He was on his way to class and didn’t say much. Later I learned that he had contacted the school’s principal and, within forty-eight hours, had built the entire set in his shop and delivered it to the school. He was also instrumental in more Eagle Scout projects (including my youngest son’s) than anyone I’ve ever known. Certainly an amazing guy.

Unknown said...

Yes, and I feel like a bum and a slug when I hear stories like that. With Dickie, you can hear a hundred like that and you're just getting started.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Bill. I'm guessing this isn't your favorite day.

Cap'n Bob said...

He sounds like a great guy. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Angie Poole said...

Slug? Me too. But I was inspired, too.

So I made A PLAN (another Dickie-ism).