Wednesday, August 04, 2010

FYI

I thought I'd say something about my reviews again. It's nothing I haven't said before, but it's worth repeating. Most of my reviews are positive, and there's a reason for that: I don't review every book I read. I'm bringing this up, in fact, because of a book I'm not reviewing. It's by a best-selling author, and I'm sure it's sold zillions of copies. I read it, but I didn't like it. It's all action, all the time, and there's nothing wrong with that, but the writing , well, . . it just didn't work for me. Obviously I'm in the minority here, however, so why should I slam a writer who no doubt worked long and hard to become a hit and who no doubt also worked long and hard to write the book? I'd rather spend my time talking about books I really liked. So that's what I'll continue to do. You can find all the bad reviews you want on Amazon if you're so inclined. Just look around.

9 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I 100% agree.

Anonymous said...

Well, yeah but...what about warning off an innocent reader who might be about to spend his hard-earned reading dollars on buying said not very good book?

Inquiring minds, etc.

Jeff

Mel Odom said...

Bill, I totally agree. I don't review books I don't enjoy either. If it doesn't get at least three out of five stars in my opinion, I just pass it on and never mention it.

Jeff, you can't warn people about books. I've found books I just didn't like at all, and friends/peers of mine thought I was crazy. There's just no accounting for taste. :)

Anonymous said...

I understand that. I'm sure if the Twilight crowd knew how Bill felt about their hero[ine] they'd bombard the blog with messages about what a wonderful writer she is.

Jeff

Mel Odom said...

You should hear my college students complain when I bash those books. And she probably has Team Edward and Team Jacob armored trucks rolling money to her door.

Todd Mason said...

Warnings nonetheless useful...as are puzzled queries as to what, exactly makes certain books click.

Dan said...

When I read a rave or pan, I want to know WHY a book/movie/whatever works or doesn't work. Bill does this as well as anyone and better than most.

George said...

About 75% of my reviews are positive. But occasionally I pan a movie, music CD, or DVD. I expect that most people reading my reviews know my tastes and can decide for themselves if my review will affect their opinion of the reviewed work. Plus, it can be fun to write a negative, venting review.

Unknown said...

I confess that I vent from time to time. Twilught, for example. I figure about 90% of my comments are positive, so I was exaggerating a little bit.