Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Chemo #4

By the time you read this I'll be on my way to M.D. Anderson for chemo #4 of the current series.  I'm hoping it's working, but I'm not confident.  I suppose there'll be testing after this infusion to check up on my progress if any.  The previous infusions were stopped after #4, which adds to my apprehension.  Also, I'm not sure if I updated the blog on my current situation.  The steroid I've been taking since the first infusion back in January has pushed my blood sugar too high.  I'm now officially diabetic, so I'm taking a drug called Metformin for that condition.  I might get an indication of how its working today, or I might not.  I resent that a drug I'm taking has caused me to have a condition I didn't previously have and that I now have to take yet another drug for that new condition.  But I'll keep on smiling.  If the doctor approves, I'll be going to Bouchercon next week, so cross your fingers for me.


16 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

You and Phil can compare horror stories. Or not!

Rick Robinson said...

I've taken Metformin for years, Bill, and other than the inconvenience of swallowing yet another pill, it didn't bother me. It worked pretty well, as long as I avoided all the Bad Foods (things I like) and only ate the Good Foods (protean and green veggies). But eventually (about a month ago) I had to start taking Insulin, which now has things under control (as long as I eat mostly the Good Foods and hardly any of the Bad Foods. I sure miss things like ice cream, though.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Fingers crossed as ordered. I'm confident we will be seeing you next week in Toronto.

Jackie was on a blood pressure medication years ago that gave her a cough, which was a listed side effects. Rather than change the medication - of which there are a myriad of choices - she prescribed a cough syrup!

We changed doctors not long afterwards.

Peter Brandvold said...

Best of luck, Bill!

J. Kingston Pierce said...

Fingers tightly crossed!

Jerry House said...

I understand that Bouchercon cures all ills.

Best wishes are headed your way. I'd send crossed fingers but evidently the Postal Service has some stupid regulation.

Don Donovan said...

All the best, Bill. Go get 'em at Bouchercon!

Cap'n Bob said...

If they prescribe Actos to go along with the Metformin, don't take it. It causes bladder cancer. I hope the chemo works for you. Fingers are crossed.

And enjoy Bouchercon.

Kathy said...

Fingers crossed and positive vibes sent!

BVLawson said...

Best wishes, Bill! Do hope the chemo news is good and that you enjoy Bouchercon!

Richard Krauss said...

Fingers crossed. Hope the doc okays the con.

Nocomme1 said...

God bless, Bill. Prayers being said and fingers being crossed.

Ed Smith

Nocomme1 said...

God bless, Bill. Prayers being said and fingers being crossed.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you, wishing it was over, and that you are well.

sas

E. Ellis said...

Bill,

Best wishes for you.

Charles Gramlich said...

Damn, man. Something similar happened to my wife with the diabetes issue and meds. Hope everything will be OK. So sorry you are going through this