Sunday, March 28, 2010

100 Great French Books -- Lance Donaldson-Evans

Here's one of those books I can't resist, an annotated list of books. It's the kind of thing that makes you wish you had all the time in the world and could read every book the author discusses. Luckily for me I've already read a surprising number of them (surprising to me, anyway -- 23) or at least parts of them. All in translation, of course. I was the despair of my college French teachers.

The books aren't all the kind of thing you study in literature class. There are The Little Prince; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea; Simenon's Lock 14, Japrisot's Trap for Cinderella; Asterix; Camus' The Stranger. Okay, maybe you'd read that in lit class, but I didn't. And 95 more. Read one essay, and you'll keep right on reading, I'm sure. And in case 100 books for your reading list isn't enough, there's an "Afterword" that gives you 50 additional titles.

I know at least a couple of you like this kind of thing as much as I do. Check it out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled around this entry looking for the link. A book list that isn't on a website somewhere? You have to buy an actual book?! C'est outrageous!
A.S.

Richard R. said...

This sounds like one George would love.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I ordered a copy and it should be here next week!

Cap'n Bob said...

French with a Texas twang. I can see it.

WV: louse. Hey, I resemble that remark.

George said...

I have this on order! Sounds like a winner!