Friday, August 14, 2009

Fogotten Books: Goodnight Moom -- Jack MacLane

Not entirely forgotten, I guess, since there are Amazon reviews of it. Here's one comment: "I think this is a real sleeper classic." Here's another: "Read this book to see what happens to Harry. Or don't read it and spare yourself the nightmares. A book for adventurous folk." And another: "It was ok but too weird, . . . ." And of course, this one: "Good thing I got this book from a yardsale, free. The only reason I rate it 1 is because I can't rate it 0."

I tend to agree with the first guy. It's a classic about a brain-damaged guy named Harry who progresses from killing small animals to killing humans. His parents keep him locked up, but one night he escapes. He's killing, people are hunting him to kill him, and it gets pretty gory. Jack MacLane was obviously a real sick-o. As all the reviewers say in one way or another, this is not a book for the squeamish. Or maybe just not for anybody.

9 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Too bad he plays off a childrens' book title then.

Unknown said...

I have it on good authority that the original title was simply Moom. Zebra changed it.

George said...

I always loved the cover.

Jerry House said...

The only problem with MacLane's books: not enough gators!

wv: imutes. I guess that means I can't praise the book enough.

Anonymous said...

Not "forgotten" by those of us with discriminating taste. And I agree with George on the cover; it's great!


Jeff

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think you "punked" me or something.

Todd Mason said...

It's said that Jack MacLane met his mysterious end one night after telling some friends he was going to go see this "Will Strider or Something guy" out by the bayou.

It is said that Mr. Crider knows more about 'gators than he often chooses to tell...

James Reasoner said...

Always been my favorite of the MacLane books.

Anonymous said...

This book was written in 1988, almost 20 yrs before the children's book (2005).