Monday, January 08, 2007

Happy Birthday, Elvis!

And God said, "Let there be Elvis," and there was much rejoicing among the people. Well, among the teenagers at least. My parents were a long time coming around to the point of view that E. was The King. Oddly enough, my grandmother (on my mother's side) was a big Elvis fan. In the early '60s, radio station KTON in the Temple/Belton area ran a 15-minute Elvis show around 5:00 every afternoon, and my grandmother and I would listen together. Those were the days.

Todd Mason reminds me that this is also the birthday of Jesse Garon Presley, Elvis' twin brother, who, unlike Elvis, is actually dead.


Gerard said...

My wife called work yesterday so that my almost 4-year old son could remind me it was Elvis' birthday.

My persistent instruction on Janaury birthdays - including three family ones - has paid off.

Bill Crider said...

Glad to see you're raising the kid right.