Thursday, February 18, 2016

Backshot -- Ed Gorman


The title page of this novel reads Backshot: 1902, but the cover doesn't.  Not that it matters.  It's all the same book.   However, there's some connection to Backshot: 2012 by Tom Piccirilli, which was released at the end of last year.  I'm not sure what the connection is, other than that the last name of the marshal in Gorman's book is also the name of the protagonist in the Piccirilli book.  I tried to check this out through Amazon, but each book has only one review -- and it's the same review, praising Gorman but not mentioning Piccirilli.  Maybe Ed will read this and enlighten us.

On to the review.  Declan Parnell is a feckless young man who works in a restaurant in a mining town and who's just gambled away all his money.  He gets a loan to pay off an outstanding gambling debt, and he messes up.  This loses him his only friend and makes him amenable to taking part in a robbery to be conducted by the owner of the restaurant where he works and the woman that Parnell thinks he's in love with.  All Parnell has to do is to drop mickey into the drink of a judge.  The other two will do the rest.  Mean while a tough marshal named Royce is in town to investigate the corrupt sheriff.  Royce is nobody's fool.

Parnell dopes the judge's drink, and that's when the twists begin and this plot summary ends.  You know without my telling you that things do not go as planned.

Gorman's a master of this kind of story.  People aren't what they seem, and Gorman can make even the worst of them seem almost human.  There's a special kind of darkness that's revealed as the story goes along, and Gorman manages it well.  The setting is winter, and the weather plays a part in the story.  It's done so well that you might want to wrap up in your Snuggie while you read.  Declan Parnell is the kind of guy who knows he's on the wrong track and wants to do the right thing.  The question is whether he'll be able to do it and still avoid the consequences of his part in the crime.   This book's the real thing, highly recommended.

9 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

This sounds great. It's going on my list.

Ed Gorman said...

Thanks for such a knowing and charitable review, Bill. To answer your question about Tom Piccirilli's role in this--he e mailed me one day with the idea that we'd do a short novel in two parts, two novellas. He wanted to do a Richard Starkian contemporary piece with a particularly tough lawman. I would write my novella about the lawman's great grandfather, who appears in the later part of my piece, this tying the novellas together. Thanks for the opportunity to clear this up.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Ed. I had a feeling it was something like that.

Ben Boulden said...

I read Ed's BACKSHOT last weekend, and I'm hoping to have a review written this weekend. I liked it well enough that I ordered Piccirilli's BACKSHOT from Cemetery Dance on the chance it is as good.


Mrs.Irene Query said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs.Irene Query. I live in Philippines and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $150,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 2 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of$150,000.00 US. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs.Irene Query, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

Unknown said...

The spam post above is so good I'm leaving it here for a while. Classic.

Jeff Meyerson said...

And here I was sure it was going to be Donald Trump.

Don Coffin said...

Published in 2015, and already apparently out of print? Amazing.

Unknown said...

Small press, small print run.