Tuesday, December 29, 2015

First Date

This is a reprint from last December 29.

Judy and I met on December 29, 1960, on a blind date arranged by her friend Loibeth Black and my friend Fred Williams.  On the left you can read what Judy wrote in our wedding book about that night.  

I remember exactly what she was wearing, and though she doesn't mention it, she also wore what was then called a mouton coat.  Just about every girl had one of those back then.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were in a closet somewhere in this house.  I don't know if she was impressed by me, but I was certainly impressed by her.  She was a senior in high school, and I was a freshman in college.  She was black-haired beauty.  I was a short-haired, four-eyed geek.  It didn't take me long to learn that she was also very smart, and if I didn't fall for her on that date, it wasn't long before I did.  After a few dates I could tell that she liked me, too, for reasons I'll never understand.

We always celebrated December 29 as an anniversary and gave each other a gift every year.   This is the first time since 1960 that we won't be together on this date.  I miss the old days.

11 comments:

Ed Gorman said...

I love these mini-portraits of you and Judy. You're compiling a true autobiography. For that, thanks.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I remember this post from last year. Still just as moving. You were lucky to have each other all those years.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I miss them too.

J. Kingston Pierce said...

A wonderfully heartfelt note. Thank you, Bill.

Robert Lopresti said...

A sweet story, well told, Bill. Thanks.

George said...

December 29 turned out to be a Happy Day for both of us. We lucked out with Judy and Diane!

Unknown said...

How true!

Jerry Mecaskey said...

Everything I begin to write fails to express well my hope for your grief to ease. I wish you less sadness and more joy.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Jerry.

Scott Cupp said...

Wonderful post last year and again this year. Miss her and you.

Cap'n Bob said...

So touching and the sweet simplicity of it really gets me.

I think the mystery of why she liked you right away is solved by reading the end of Judy's note. "...he wore shoes with laces." Ever the gentleman, ever the snappy dresser.