Friday, July 22, 2011

Wicked Good Words -- Mim Harrison

I don't know about you, but I find this kind of book makes irresistible browsing. There are plenty of expressions that are familiar to a Texan like me, like frog strangler and gully washer to describe a heavy rain. But other parts of the country have phrases that I'd never heard before, like piggle, long butt, and lamb licker. You can find out what those mean, if you don't know already, along with hundreds of others in this entertaining book. You'll find out where they're used, and sometimes even the origin. Check it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds great. My in-laws, from Amherst Texas (near Muleshoe) always had wonderful phrases. One of my mother-in-law's favorites was "Well, I swan." Or maybe my favorite, "Boy howdy chick-o-ree."
Michel