Saturday, July 23, 2011

Captain America

When I was a kid, I liked the Captain American comic books a lot, and I also liked the old serial version even though Steve Rogers wasn't the same character as the guy in the comics. So I was prepared to like the new movie version, too, and I did. A lot. [Possible Spoiler: I didn't much care for the ending. End of Possible Spoiler.]

I liked the '40s setting, I thought Tommy Lee Jones was just right, and the rest of the cast wasn't bad, either. The CGI was amazing. (Was Chris Evans' body ever actually in the movie, or did they just use his head?) Hugo Weaving was a dandy villain, and the 3-D effects were great for the most part. As much as I hate to, however, I have to admit that the movie was a bit too dark through the 3-D glasses, and I kind of wish I'd gone to the 2-D version.

I haven't see any of the summer's other big superhero movies, but this was the one I wanted to see because of my affection for the character and my hope they'd do it right. They did. Check it out.

3 comments:

Bud said...

Glad to hear it. Probably hard for TLJ to do a bad acting job in anything.

George said...

I liked CAPTAIN AMERICA, too. But this is just the prequel to THE AVENGERS movie that we'll see next summer.

Anonymous said...

Best Marvel adaptation since Spiderman. Go see it again in 2-D, Bill. It's a stunner. And I loved Stan Lee's cameo ("I didn't know he was so tall!). I don't recall the Howlin' Commandos being part of Cap's scene, but then it has been awhile since I read them funnybooks.

--Stephen Mertz