Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Lawn Mowing Time

I'm sitting here listening to a sound I've never heard before. John Duke once told me that it's one of the most pleasant sounds of the summer. It's the sound of someone else mowing my lawn.

I started mowing the lawn when I was big enough to push a mower (not a power mower). I've been mowing ever since. I've never had a riding mower or a self-propelled mower, though I do have a power mower now.

I always thought of mowing as a necessary evil, but lately I've been thinking more about it. As a rich and powerful writer and an important force in the blogosphere, wouldn't it be better for me to save myself an hour or so every week and devote the time to other pursuits? Of course it would.

So I got in touch with Mr. Alfredo Chica, who does the lawn across the street and asked him if he could do my lawn when he comes to do the other. Of course he could.

Now I'm sitting here listening to that sound. I'm sure it will soon be as pleasant as promised, though right now I'm feeling a little guilty. I have a feeling I'll get over it.

12 comments:

Larry D. Sweazy said...

I'm envious.

Anonymous said...

A rich and powerful writer like yourself owes it to himself not to risk his precious hands on such a dangerous task. Besides, as Dr. Kelley would say, you are stimulating the economy.

Jeff

Seepy Benton said...

Living in the desert means never having to mow.

Gerard said...

You never had one of your kids do the mowing?

Seepy, I opted for a grass yard when I lived in Peoria, AZ and mowing that thing always felt silly. Especially when it was 100 degrees out.

Unknown said...

Allen gave me a short break. Not enough of one. And that was long ago.

Anonymous said...

I have two postage stamp lawns I can mow in 5 minutes. However, I have shrubs and hedges and small trees in profusion, all growing like crazy. For 10 years I battled to keep up with it, went through 3 trimmers and at least a dozen cut-through extension cords. 5 years ago I gave up and hired the guy who does the widow lady's yard next door. I sigh when I write his monthly check, but don't regret it a whit.
Art Scott

Fred Zackel said...

Greetings, Bill, from the icy cornfields of Ohio! Right the weather man says it's 29 degrees. And to him ... it feels like 20 degrees! Tonight's low should be 15 degrees. Not counting the wind chill. (Mumble mumble mumble ...)

Unknown said...

Art, I'm pretty sure I'll be used to this by next week.

Zack, what can I say? It's springtime in the swamplands.

James Reasoner said...

I had to mow part of our place yesterday (and work on the sewer system, but that's another story). I don't remember ever having to mow this early in the year. But I thought about you while I was pushing the blasted thing around and wondered how the mowing situation was in Alvin this year.

Cap'n Bob said...

I just ignore it until the wife gets mad and does it.

I'm sure your employee has a green card.

Anonymous said...

Two words: apartment building.

Jeff

George said...

I've been pushing for a lawn service for years. I mowed lawns for money when I was a 12-year-old. I mowed pretty much continuously (with brief respites by Patrick and Katie mowing) until my 50s. When I had my knees scoped 10 years ago, I stopped mowing, but now Diane does it. She doesn't have to, but she insists she "likes" mowing the lawn. Go figure.