Monday, December 27, 2010

Toy Story 3

I liked the first two Toy Story movies, so I expected to like this one, too. And I certainly did. The opening sequence got to me not just because I maintain even in my old age a deep connection to my childhood but because I remember and almost identical situation in my own life.

In the movie, Andy's going away to college, and his mother tells him he has to clean out his room. Everything has to go, either to the dump, to the daycare center as a donation, or to college along with him. All mothers must get their ideas from the same place because the same thing happened to me. I can remember all too vividly the day my mother told me that I had to get rid of all my books and magazines or she'd throw them out. I called a friend with more understanding parents, and we loaded all of them into the back of his station wagon. I can still see them through the back window as he drove away.

But enough about me. The toys get donated by accident, and the daycare center looks like a great place, with an apparently friendly bear named Lotso in charge. But things aren't what they seem, and the toys need to escape. This leads to one of the more harrowing (and touching) animated sequences I've ever seen.

The voice acting is great. Is there an Oscar category for voice acting. If there isn't, there should be. The Pixar animation is as amazing as ever, if not even more amazing, and the writing and storytelling are top shelf. In fact, the more animated movies I see, the more I think the writing and storytelling are better than in the live-action films. Some adults can't get into animated movies, and that's okay, but I think they're missing something if they pass up stuff like this.

Bonus: Best use of deus ex machina since Eurpides.
Bonus: Stay through the credits to see Buzz Lightyear and Jessie do the paso doble.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The weekend before college I packed away all my old Berkeley and Zebra Robert E Howard paperbacks and my old DAW Michael Moorcock books along with at least 30 Edgar Rice Burroughs books. I don't miss them every day but they would'v come in handy when these writers became a bit more scarce in the bookstore shelves. It feels weird when a book I once owned becomes a "collectible."

Dan Luft

Charles Gramlich said...

I finally saw number 2 all the way thorugh last night and liked it. Will definitely see 3.

Stephen B. said...

Toy Story 2 was my favorite from Disney with Pixar, out of a whole run of popular movies.


I managed to have toys that were left at my childhood home, many books, paperbacks, I think some stuff is gone now and there's at least a few that were saved. Toy Story 3 did talk about that and it was a fine film experience...

George said...

I picked TOY STORY 3 as one of my favorite movies of 2010. It may be my favorite of the TOY STORY series. I certainly had some misty eyes at the end of this one.

Richard R. said...

I still haven't seen any of these things. One of these days, I guess.

Richard R. said...

Wasn't there an episode of "Amazing Story" about someone who kept everything and then became very wealthy when it all became worth a lot of money?

Unknown said...

Yeah, and the guy was played by Mark Hamill.