Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Overlooked Movies -- Flash Gordon (1980)


This is a re-post from 2013.  Ordinarily I wouldn't run a repeat from such a short while back, but I saw an article the other day that makes some good points:  5 reasons 'Flash Gordon' is the most underrated cult classic film of all time.

Since I made most of the same points, I thought I might as well get my comments back out there.

I like just about everything about this movie, and, yes, even the performance of Sam J. Jones is included in that statement.  Max von Sydow, as Ming the Merciless, is great, but let's not overlook Brian Blessed as Voltan and Melody Anderson as Dale Arden.  What?  You don't think she's great?  Well, you're just wrong, that's all.  Timothy Dalton, Topol, and Ornella Muti hold their own.  We don't get to see Peter Wyngarde's face, but his Klytus is still memorable.  If Dr. Zarkov happens to remind you of Seepy Benton, it's probably just a coincidence.

What else do I like?  The color is superb.  The soundtrack by Queen is classic.  Watch the trailer at the link below and see what I mean.  

Sure, it's campy.  Sure, the special effects are cheesy.  That's all intentional, and it works just fine for me.  And don't try to tell me the writers hadn't seen this digest cover.  I won't believe you.  

7 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

Buster Crabbe's still my Flash.

George said...

I saw this movie back in 1980 and enjoyed it. I have it on DVD and Blu-ray. Maybe I'll watch it again this weekend!

Jeff Meyerson said...

What Cap'n Bob said I found this mediocre at best (except for Ming).

Seepy Benton said...

I always get that one mixed up with "Flesh Gordon." My mistake. ;-)

Rick Robinson said...

I agree with most of what you say, except the soundtrack. I'd be happy to never hear another note of a song by Queen. That Ming would make a great Fu.

Don Coffin said...

Helluva cast. (Unlike Rick, I'm a fan of Queen and think the soundtrack is wholly appropriate to its context.)

Unknown said...

Me, too. I love that theme music.