Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bob Bogle, R. I. P.

Bob Bogle of The Ventures Dies at 75 - Obituary (Obit) - NYTimes.com: "TACOMA, Wash. (AP) — Bob Bogle, the lead guitarist and co-founder of the rock band The Ventures, known for 1960s instrumental hits like “Walk, Don’t Run,” “Perfidia” and the theme from “Hawaii Five-O,” died Sunday. He was 75.

Don Wilson, the band’s other founder, told The News Tribune of Tacoma that Mr. Bogle had become ill over the weekend.

The Ventures sold millions of albums and heavily influenced other rock guitarists. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2008. The hall’s Web site hailed The Ventures as “the most successful instrumental combo in rock and roll history.”"

1 comment:

Rick Robinson said...

That was good to hear again. I used to have the album shown at the end of the video, with the girl in the toreador pants. I also had the 45 of the song, of course.

I loved The Ventures, though I still prefer Dick Dale and the Del Tones, probably because they were local to SoCal and I saw - and danced to - them many times.