Monday, April 21, 2008

The Bourne Ultimatum

This movie really zips along. Jason Bourne's on the run again, trying to discover the secret of his identity, and the CIA's still trying to stop him, no matter who gets killed along the way, because there's a big, dark secret to be covered up. Luckily there's at least one CIA operative who's willing to help Bourne, though she's pretty much powerless for most of the picture.

I've never been much of a Matt Damon fan, but he does Bourne well, and I've enjoyed him in the three movies about the character, despite the fact that he's depressed all the time. I also didn't mind the camera work that seems to have induced Blair-Witch symptoms in some people. Judy said she had to close her eyes at times.

Lots of nice location shooting, non-stop action, a nicely convoluted story, and a good cast throughout. The movie reminded me of why I read a trailer load or two of spy fiction back around 40 years ago. It was a great way to spend an evening.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Me, too, regarding Damon and these movies. But like Judy, I hate shaky cameras. I think its something to do with the location of your sinuses.

Paul Bishop said...

I'm with Judy. The handheld camera work always leaves me feeling queasy, especially if we have eaten dinner before going to the movies. I had to walk out of Friday Night Lights (the movie) because the jiggling was so excessive.

My other problem with the Bourne films is the editing is so fast there is no way for the average viewer (unless he/she spends all his/her time playing video games) can actually see what is happening on the screen. The fight scenes lose thier impact for me because I get frustrated not being able to actually follow the action.

Randy Johnson said...

The franchise seems to be doing well. I wonder if they plan on doing any films of the three Lustbader Bourne novels.

mybillcrider said...

I have to agree about those fight scenes. I've complained for years about the quick cutting that (for me) ruins the fights in a lot of movies.