Thursday, May 19, 2011

Jeffrey Catherine Jones, R. I. P.

Steve Rothaus' Gay South Florida: "Transgender comics artist and fantasy illustrator Jeffrey Catherine Jones died Thursday at 67, reports Comic Book Resources.

Born Jeffrey Jones 1944, the artist celebrated a long career whose highlights included a 1970s run doing cover paintings for major fantasy novels like Fritz Leiber's 'Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser' and a number of comics including 'Idyl' for 'National Lampoons' and 'I'm Age' for 'Heavy Metal.'"

4 comments:

Scott Cupp said...

Sorry to hear this. I always loved Jones' work.

Cap'n Bob said...

Wow, am I out of the loop. Last time I heard about him he was a male. He did great work.

Jerry House said...

Talented artist. I loved his/her work.

Todd Mason said...

Rothaus does a pretty bad job of getting things...um...straight (the Leiber story cycle, not novel, though there is a novel in it; NATLAMP was singular in several ways). But, yep, Jones was starting to look into gender-swap in the early '70s at latest.