Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Overlooked Movies: Serial Mom

Imagine June Cleaver as a serial killer, and you'll have a pretty good idea of what this movie is all about.  I like the idea, and I wanted to like the movie more than I did.  I'm not sure what was wrong with it.  Kathleen Turner is great.  It looks great, just the way suburbia should, sunny and bright and cheerful.  The supporting cast is fine (and who but John Waters would slip in Patty Hearst in a cameo role?).  Something's a little off, though.  The pacing, for one thing.  Maybe some of the jokes.

The plot's pretty simple.  Turner is, as I said, June Cleaver, except that people annoy her.  So she kills them. Some of them in very bloody fashion.  Eventually she's found out, so there's a trial.  Ricki Lake, who plays Turner's daughter sells T-shirts outside the courthouse.  Suzanne Somers shows up.  Turner defends herself and is found not guilty on all counts.  Which doesn't bode well for the Hearst character, who's guilty, all right -- of wearing white after labor day.

You have to be in the mood for this one, but it certainly has its moments.  Quite a few of them, in fact. I wish I liked it better.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Something was off, I remember it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Bill. It had potential but just didn't click. Still, it had its moments.


Jeff

Todd Mason said...

Well, it's a remake of the more typically scabrous FEMALE TROUBLE, another Waters film, only with a cast of actually good actors...and it was Waters's first attempt to reach beyond his initial audience. I'm fond of it.

Gerard said...

One of the few flicks I have seen at the movie theater. I drove out to some North Dallas theatre that was the closest place showing this. As I left after the movie a couple other fellas were walking out and one was complaining about the movie. I liked it but agree it is not perfect.

This is one of those films where, inexplicably, I remember A LOT about the plot and characters.