Friday, May 20, 2016

FFB: The Man Inside -- W. Watts Biggers

It's finally happened.  I plucked this book off my shelves the other day, and I realized that I have no idea why I bought it.  Someone must have mentioned it on a blog or in a group that I belong to, but I can't remember.  I find that sad and disturbing.

Maybe I bought it because of the author.  Who's W. Watts Biggers?  Well, for one thing, he's the co-creator of the beloved TV series Underdog, among many others.  He wrote the theme song, too.  You can read all about him here.  This book is nothing at all like Underdog, however.  It's very strange.

A young boy (about 12 years old) with no memory of his past and no ability to remember anything that he's told or that happens to him is dropped off at a boy's school by a man who refuses to answer any questions.  The boy is given the name of Caro.  He gets some odd therapy and improves a bit, but because he's developing sexual feelings for his therapist, he leaves the school, after which time he appears to have no trouble remembering things, although he never recalls his past prior to his time in the school.  He begins a picaresque journey as he searches for his purpose in life, which he believes can be discovered through books and through studying the life of General Douglas MacArthur.  Bad things happen.

In the end Caro learns . . . something.  I'm not sure what.  The book is short, however, and Caro's adventures held my interest, so there's that.

11 comments:

Todd Mason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Todd Mason said...

And someone else was chatting about it recently...I don't remember who. The book has the power to cloud men's minds, or at least the memories...

George said...

Now I have an urge to watch my UNDERDOG DVDs! Love the UNDERDOG theme song!

Unknown said...

I do, too, George.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Maybe you thought he was related to Earl Derr Biggers?

Unknown said...

Anything is possible in my addled brain.

Deb said...

I have so many things--not just books, but knic-knacs, housewares, etc.--that give me pause. Under what circumstances would I have acquired this? For example, the other days while rummaging through a rarely-opened kitchen drawer, I discovered a set of shocking pink chopsticks. I haven't a clue what I might have been thinking when I bought them!

Unknown said...

Because no home should be without them?

Deb said...

A phrase that applies to so many things!

Mathew Paust said...

My situation might even be more disturbing: I have at least a dozen cardboard boxes in my apartment, most of them filled with books that I might remember were I to look in the boxes, most of which have not been opened since my move three years ago. I no longer have any clue as to which books (some of which I may no longer remember acquiring) are in which box. Knowing this, and referring to Todd's comment above, it might not be wise for me to read The Man Inside, altho I am tempted (but I'm not sure why).

Unknown said...

I wouldn't recommend giving in to that temptation.