Sunday, July 03, 2011

A Coincidence

Years ago, I have no idea how many, I signed up with the college where I was teaching to get a cell phone at a special discount rate. It was so long ago that I had to haul the cell phone around in a wagon. Okay, it wasn't that big, but it was big. It was an analog phone. Later on I traded it in for a digital model, just the kind I needed. It wouldn't do anything other than make and receive calls. It wouldn't even take pictures.

The other day, I decided it was time to update myself and get a smartphone. So I did, from the same carrier. I couldn't get the same deal, though, and the rep at Best Buy couldn't even transfer the number or cancel the old contract because of the special deal. I'd have to take care of that at the college.

So on Friday I went out there and walked into the office of Janet Schweibel, who's in charge of the phone accounts. As soon as I came through the door, she said, "I hope you're not here about your cell phone."

I was taken aback. I said, "How did you know?" It turned out that she didn't know. She thought I might be there about getting a new phone or adding someone to the account or something like that. She'd asked the question because, as she explained, she'd just heard from the carrier, and the college was going to cancel the program. She was going to have to notify everyone that they'd no longer be able to use their cell phones and that they'd have to get new ones.

I'm glad I'm always (barely) ahead of the curve.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was it anything like this, Bill?

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Or perhaps a little more like this?

Jeff

Charles Gramlich said...

Reminds me, I'm about do for a new cell phone.

Bud said...

"I'm glad I'm always (barely) ahead of the curve."
You are so often that we've come to expect it!

I'd like a phone with which I could make its whole system as simple (e.g. calls only) or as complicated as I needed with just a few button pushes! Now that would be a "smart" phone!

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Strange timing, indeed.

Anonymous said...

So that old phone wouldn't do anything but make and receive calls. Remind me again what the hell else is REALLY needed in a phone, 'cause that sounds like enough to me.

Deb said...

I thought your phone number had to carry over when you purchased a new cell phone.

/Another cherished notion crushed.

Unknown said...

They couldn't carry mine over because of the special program I was in. Otherwise, it would have carried over easily.

Cap'n Bob said...

BTW, if anyone has ever worked for the federal government they're entitled to a discount on their cell phone bill. Demand it if the rep says no.

Cap'n Bob said...

And Jeff, notice the first guy was in line for a movie.