Friday, June 26, 2009

Sky Saxon, R. I. P.

The Associated Press: Sky Saxon of '60s rock band the Seeds dies: "AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Sky Saxon, lead singer and founder of the 1960s band the 'Seeds,' who had a Top 40 hit in 1967 with 'Pushin' Too Hard,' has died after a brief illness.

Publicist Jen Marchand said Saxon died Thursday but did not have other details. He was in his 60s.

The Seeds sprang up in California, and their garage-band sound with Saxon's distinctive vocals became a favorite of the flower power generation. Another hit single of 1967 was 'Can't Seem to Make You Mine' and their song 'Mr. Farmer' was included in the soundtrack for the movie 'Almost Famous.'

The Mick Jagger-influenced vocals by Saxon (born Richard Marsh) dominated the sound and in turn influenced later punk rockers."

Thanks to Scott Cupp for the link.

5 comments:

Scott Cupp said...

As I mentioned to you earlier, The Seeds were much more important to me as one of the earliest successful psychedelic bands than Michael Jackson. The Jacksons never did it for me in any of their incarnations. Give me the Seeds, the Airplane or Cream any day.

Steve said...

I met Sky in his heyday up at his home in Topanga Cyn.

An peculiar type of guy...I could never figure him out.

At one time I heard him say he was better than Mick Jagger... I never responded to that remark.

Rest in peace man.

Stephen B. said...

"Pushin' Too Hard" was just the song I found, know I heard that a few times, good band (before MY time)!

Rick Robinson said...

This song was okay, but give me Jefferson Airplane and/or The Doors any time! Add Big Brother and the Holding Company with some lead singer that was pretty good...

Jimmy Valentine said...

I have difficulty describing the influence Sky had on me. And will continue to have on me.

In the few years I knew him he taught me a lifetime worth of lessons. Sky taught me to never give up. Sky showed me the way of forgiveness and true love for my fellow beings of all sorts.
Sky taught me patience. With his help he taught me how to make a great album (Pisces Rising was produced by him over the phone!).

The musical legacy he left us will continue to enrich our lives and the lives of those yet unborn for ages to come!

Right now I just want to reflect on the loss of my friend and teacher...Perhaps at a later time I will get into more detail, but more than likely I won't.
So many people were always trying to ride his cosmic and very long coat tails.
For me just having him as a friend and being blessed with having worked with him for a brief time is enough...If Sky taught me anything it was that with my heart in the right place and my mind unpolluted, I don't need to be anybody's side man. I can shine on my own.

So in closing I would like to say thank you Sky. Thank you for seeing something in me that I did not. Thank you for your influence and helping to shape my music. Thank you for your friendship. Thank you for your love.

I love you and I will miss you my friend...

Jimmy Valentine