Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Unfortunately, the Allie Reynolds Card Isn't Bringing Quite this Much


1909 Honus Wagner baseball card sells for record $2.35 million: "LOS ANGELES — The 'Holy Grail of baseball cards,' the famous 1909 Honus Wagner tobacco card once owned by hockey great Wayne Gretzky, has sold for a record-setting $2,350,000, the seller of the card said Monday.

The anonymous buyer has only been identified as a Southern California collector. SCP Auctions Inc., a company that holds sports memorabilia auctions, said it bought a small share of the card. It is scheduled to be shown at a news conference at Dodger Stadium today."

3 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

I had one but put it in the spokes of my bicycle.

Anonymous said...

After my uncle left for the army in 1964 I helped my grandmother clean out his room. I righteously assisted in the burning of all his raunchy men’s magazines (at least the ones I hadn’t already surreptitiously spirited to my tree house) and watched while she tossed his shoe boxes of 1940s, 1950s baseball cards on the flames. I’ve told him the whole story many times, but he still thinks I have them somewhere around the house.

Unknown said...

And I hope he's right.