Sunday, June 26, 2005

Paul Winchell, One More Time

April Winchell: June, 2005: "I got a phone call a few minutes ago, telling me that my father passed away yesterday.

A source close to my dad, or at least, closer than I was, decided to tell me himself, instead of letting me find out on the news, which I appreciate. Apparently a decision had been made not to tell me, or my father's other children.

My father was a very troubled and unhappy man. If there is another place after this one, it is my hope that he now has the peace that eluded him on earth."

I found this link (as I did the previous one) at Mark Evanier's News from Me. I know it shouldn't surprise me that Paul Winchell, who'd brought so much laughter and pleasure to me when I was a kid, was a troubled, unhappy man. It's almost a showbiz cliche. Still, this blog entry depressed me. Life is hardly ever what it should be, I guess. A dman shame if you ask me.

1 comment:

Joan Reeves said...

Pain and an odd sensation of deja vu gripped me when I read April's comment: "My father was a very troubled and unhappy man. If there is another place after this one, it is my hope that he now has the peace that eluded him on earth." I expressed the identical sentiment seven years ago when my father died. I guess that's a universal feeling among those who wished for a Hallmark section designed for dysfunctional families on Father's and Mother's Days.