Friday, August 25, 2017

FFB: What's New Pussycat -- Marvin H. Albert

Marvin H. Albert did a ton of movie novelizations, but this is the only one I've read.  I read it for the first time when it originally appeared back in 1965 after Judy and I saw the movie.  I was already a big fan of Woody Allen's comedy albums, and I was curious to see what he'd be like in a movie.  He was just like he was on the comedy albums.  It may be the only character he can play.  So I was then curious to see how that would translate into fiction written by someone else.  The answer: good but not great.  

The fact of the matter is that I reread this book mainly because I've remembered one particular line in it for more than 50 years.  I thought it was hilarious the first time I read it (I don't remember if it's in the movie), but this time it wasn't as funny.  Oh, well.  Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

The plot?  Michael James is irresistible to women. He's in love with Carol, but he can't commit to her because he can't resist the other women.  Victor is in love with Carol, too, and she tries to carry on with him but can't because she loves Michael, who's going to a sex-crazed psychiatrist to get help.  Believe me, the psychiatrist isn't much help at all.  Many sex-farcical complications ensue.

Like the movie, the book is a product of its time, a time long gone, or so we'd like to think.  It doesn't hold up too well, although there are some funny scenes.  I haven't seen the movie since 1965.  It probably doesn't hold up, either, but I remember it fondly, especially the performance of Peter Sellers as the sex-crazed psychiatrist.  Maybe I'll look for the movie and see it again.  Or maybe not.

9 comments:

Fred Zackel said...

Yes, definitely a movie for its times. A different world, in fact, that still has its attractions. Lots of fun lines, mostly ad libs. "She's a personal friend of James Bond!" Peter Sellers stole the movie, and Woody was unhappy.

George said...

I'm getting ready to reread a Marvin H. Albert series over the next few months. Great minds think alike.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I think you can't go home again. Let your memories of the movie suffice. I didn't think it was that great the first time.

Rick said...

For several years the movie held the title of the highest grossing comedy in Hollywood history. Woody memorably said that if he had directed it, he could have made it twice as funny...and half as successful.

I watched about ten years ago. I thought much of it held up better than okay, but the endless concluding chase scene with all the characters damn near ruined it...
(Rick Libott)

Rick said...

Just another note: I got Sellers' autograph on one the stills of him in the center portion of this novelization. He was on location shooting "I Love You Alice B. Toklas" down the block from where I was living. If I'd known what a nasty jerk he was capable of being to people, I never would dared approach him. But he couldn't have been nicer...

mybillcrider said...

Very cool, Rick!

Glen Davis said...

I read Albert's novelization of Good Bye Charlie.

Jeff Meyerson said...

That is indeed cool. I liked TOKLAS a lot more than PUSSYCAT.

Bud said...

The movie's pretty silly if you think about it and a fun romp if you don't, so ... 8-)