Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Song of the Day

Once upon a time there was a small regional mystery convention in Dallas, Texas.  It was held annually for several years, and one of the people I met there was Rick Centner.  He played a mean guitar and mentioned that he'd once had a group that recorded a song on the Fantasy label in 1964.  Until now I hadn't heard the song.  As it turns out, it's pretty darn good, a nice number in the Buddy Holly vein.

THE CHEATERS "ONCE IN A LIFETIME LOVE" & "CHIP AWAY" - YouTube:

3 comments:

Tom Johnson said...

Not bad at all. There was a group playing in Cross Plains one year for one of their festivals during REH Days that sounded a lot like this. They played Buddy Holly, Ricky Nelson, Chuck Berry, and some of the other old groups from the '50s.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I'd call it a blatant ripoff of Buddy Holly, but you can call it "an homage" if you so choose. Not bad at all.

Unknown said...

My wife and I visited Norman and Vi Petty, whom we got to know when I worked for KCLV,which played a rock format. I actually played three or four that I wrote [two with Bob Durand,a lyricist for the Beau Brummels'"Just A Little." He offered high praise for this one and a second titled "Shadow." A third,the title only slightly different from "Well...Alright' he thought was a bit too close to the original. Ironically, Bill Danoff of the Starland Vocal Band and "Take Me Home, Country Roads,"leaned a little in your direction.
It was during that visit that Norman explained how Jerry made the drums so full on "Peggy Sue." If only we'd known.