Saturday, January 04, 2014

George Pittman, R. I. P.

www.community-news.com: George Pittman, teacher, mentor, traveler, community volunteer and loving husband and father died Jan 1, 2014 after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 76.

George was the chair of the Department of English at Howard Payne University (then Howard Payne College) when I began teaching there in 1971.  He was a friend and colleague for six years before moving back to his alma mater to continue his academic career.  He was the best possible department chair, and I always felt I could go to him for advice not only on school matters but on anything else that was troubling me.  He had a great teaching career and influenced thousands of students.  Maybe he wasn't as famous as some people I mention here, but he was certainly one of the best.

2 comments:

Jerry House said...

It's always sad when a person you have known and respected has passed on; sadder still when that person has had a direct positive impact on your life.

My thoughts are not only with you at this time, Bill, but also with the Pittman family, and with the many students he had taught.

Cap'n Bob said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. If he had an influence on your life in any way he had to have been a good guy.