Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Overlooked Movies: All of Me

I seem to be on a Steve Martin kick, but why not?  I've enjoyed a lot of his movies, and I have a couple of others I might write about later on.

All of Me is one I've always regarded as the best example of Martin's gift for physical comedy.  He's a miracle of coordination, as you know if you've ever watched (or maybe just heard) him play the banjo or perform magic tricks. This movie gives him plenty of opportunity to show off what he can do when his body (or half of it) is taken over by a woman (Lily Tomlin).  If you've never seen the movie, the trailer will give you an idea, but only an idea. The scene where the takeover happens for the first time is a classic and worth the price of the movie.  There are lots of body-switch movies, but this is the one of the few that I really like.

The goofy plot (how Tomlin gets into Martin's body, and why it gets in any body) is typical of these things, but it doesn't really matter.  You know it's all going to work out in the end.  It's a comedy, after all.  Just go along for the ride and watch Martin at work.  Pure fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

100% agree. It worked really well.


Jeff

Howard Carter said...

Martin really hit his stride here..this, along with Roxanne and LA Story are just excellent movies

Really wish he was doing morw of this sort of thing now

mybillcrider said...

I wish the same. Those are really entertaining movies.

pattinase (abbott) said...

One of my favorite Steve Martin movies. Not usually a fan of Lily Tomlin but she worked well here.
I guess he got too old to be offered leading man parts although he is so talented in so many areas it might have been his choice