Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Gerry Rafferty, R. I. P.

iWon News - 'Baker Street' singer Gerry Rafferty dead at 63: "Gerry Rafferty, the Scottish singer-songwriter behind hit songs 'Baker Street' and 'Stuck in the Middle With You,' has died. He was 63.

Rafferty's agent Paul Charles confirmed Tuesday that his client had passed away following a long illness, but said he had no additional information on how or where he had died.

Rafferty's classic record 'Baker Street' - renowned worldwide for its distinctive haunting saxophone solo - climbed to No. 3 in the U.K. and No. 2 in the U.S. music charts in 1978. It still achieves considerable airplay on radio stations."

Hat tip to Jeff Meyerson.

5 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I still play 'Stuck in the Middle With You' quite a bit.

That's way to young to go.

Brian Drake said...

Oh, horrible news. When I was young my aunt had the Baker Street album; I made her play that song over and over again because I loved the saxophone. As an adult, I still love the song because of the saxophone and, now, the lyrics.

Randy Johnson said...

I loved the saxophone on Baker Street also. It was my most played song back then.

Delhi said...

its really very sad...i hope he rest in peace....

Elizabeth Foxwell said...

Rafferty also appears on the _Local Hero_ soundtrack with a great song, "The Way It Always Starts."