Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Robert Sterling, R. I. P.


He'll always be George Kirby, "that sporty spirit," to me. I hope he's having a chat with Cosmo G. Topper even now.

1940s TV Star Robert Sterling Dies at 88 - Forbes.com: "Robert Sterling, the handsome star of 1940s movies who appeared with his wife Anne Jeffreys in the television series 'Topper,' died Tuesday at his Brentwood home. He was 88.

Sterling died of natural causes following a decade-long battle with shingles, said his son, Jeffrey. His wife and other close relatives were at his bedside.

Although he appeared in dozens of movies, Sterling was best known for the 1953-1956 TV series 'Topper,' based on the Thorne Smith novel, and the 1937 film starring Cary Grant and Constance Bennett. "

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to get up early in the morning to watch Topper before school, back in the '70s. It was funny, but that's about all I remember.--Karin

Cap'n Bob said...

Ten years of shingles? Ouch! I'll bet death was a blessing when it came.