Monday, September 27, 2010

Memorial Service for David Thompson

Yesterday afternoon I went to the memorial service for David Thompson. (See previous post here.) It wasn't really a service so much as a celebration of David's life. Margaritas and Mexican food, the way David would've wanted it. Hundreds (and hundreds) of people turned out to show their support for David's wife, McKenna, for David's family, and for David's friends at Murder by the Book. I wasn't surprised at the size of the crowd, nor was I surprised at the number of mystery writers from all over Texas who drove long distances to be there. I wasn't surprised, either, at the fact that some writers came all the way from distant states like New York, California, and Pennsylvania. It was just further proof of the influence David had on the mystery field and of how many people appreciated him and what he did. It showed once again what great people mystery readers, writers, and fans are. I'm proud to be part of that community, just as David was. He'll be much missed for a long, long time.

5 comments:

Shirley Wetzel said...

I felt honored to be part of the crowd. Every person in the room, whether they were authors, book sellers, fans of the bookstore, or any other category, was there because they considered David a friend. McKenna stood and accepted condolences for hours. David was watching proudly, I know, but he was probably amazed at the turnout. He was a great guy and there will always be an empty spot in my heart because he's no longer with us.

Pari said...

I'm so glad you were there, Bill and Shirley. My heart was there, but I wish I could've come in body too.

Anonymous said...

Very nice tribute. I didn't know him but I've found all the heartfelt words to be touching. Glad you were able to go.

Jeff

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks for sharing this. I thought about it all day, wondering if it was bearable. Hard to be there and hard to not be there.

Cap'n Bob said...

I'm sorry I never met him.