Thursday, December 10, 2009

Harry C. Crosby, aka Christopher Anvil, R. I. P.

Author Harry C. Crosby, aka Christopher Anvil, dies - SFScope - Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror: "Locus is reporting the death of Harry C. Crosby, Jr., on 30 November 2009. Born 11 March 1925, in Norwich, Connecticut, he was better known by his pseudonym, Christopher Anvil.

Crosby's first published story, 'Cinderella, Inc.', appeared in the December 1952 issue of Imagination. He adopted his pseudonym within a few years, and over his career, published more than 100 stories and several novels and collections. Much of his shorter work appeared in Astounding/Analog, and he is probably best known for his 'Federation of Humanity' stories (which he also called his 'Colonization Series'). Baen Books has recently been collecting his shorter works into books edited by Eric Flint."

Hat tip to Scott Cupp.

4 comments:

Richard Robinson said...

Oh my. "Anvil" is a huge favorite of mine! I've bought every collection Baen has published (six or more so far) and he was a favorite back in the day when I read Astounding Science Fiction. Wonderful sense of humor and irony, clever plotting. A short story master, I think.

Unknown said...

I'll have to pick up some of the Baen collections. I always enjoyed his stories in old digests.

Richard Robinson said...

Highly recommended, Bill, as you may recall from The Perp and Lethal Interjection. :-)

Unknown said...

Yes, I remember your writing about the books and your affection for Anvil. For some reason, I still remember some of the illustrations from the original publications.