Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sheriff Dan Rhodes Marches On

Today I signed the contract to write the 18th Sheriff Dan Rhodes novel. For a while there, I didn't think the sheriff was going to make it to #18, but now it's a go. All I have to do is write the book, but then that's the easy part, right?

The way things are going, I'm not at all sure there'll be a #19 in the series. Sales aren't increasing (some of you must not be buying), but at least they're holding their own. That might not be good enough for another sale, but if it's not, I won't be too sad. When I wrote the first book all those years ago, I never thought I'd still be writing about the sheriff. Heck, I never thought I'd sell a second book. As it turned out, I've sold dozens, under my own name and many others, so I've had a much better run than I ever dreamed of.

I even have a couple of other things going on, so there might be some other books if things work out. And assuming I'm not too lazy to write them. There's always that possibility. I'm getting lazier every day. Old age, I guess. It's a good thing the sheriff doesn't age. If he did, he'd be too lazy to solve all those crimes in Blacklin County.

16 comments:

Gerard said...

YEAH!

I was worried after reading a previous comment you made.

Gerald So said...

Good news, Bill. Best of luck with everything.

Jarry House said...

That's great news. Looking forward to it.

David Jack Bell said...

Great news, Bill.

Ed Gorman said...

You know how much I love those books, Bill. I always thought they'd make a great Murder She Wrote type of TV series with Texas an integral part of story lines as New England was the first few seasons with Angla Lansbury.

Charlieopera said...

19? And just one series?

I'll be damn lucky to get to number 7 (of anything).

Way to go, Bill.

I'm not counting but I think your terrorizing with the Croc/Gator updates are in the hundreds.

We have one in Trenton, New Jersey I learned from you this week. They're stalking me.

Ben Boulden said...

Congratulations Bill. I'm a new fan of Dan Rhodes, but a rabid fan.

Good luck with this and everything else you're working on.

James Reasoner said...

Very glad to hear this!

Unknown said...

Thanks, everybody. For a while there I was wondering if St. Martin's was going to pick up the series, but here we go again.

David Cranmer said...

Excellent and I hope theres more to come.

Benjie said...

Always happy news to have another visit with the sheriff. Congrats, Bill. And as a wise man once told me, "Keep on writing."

Dale said...

Best news I have heard in a while.
How fast can you write it?

Congrats and good luck, Bill.

Cap'n Bob said...

Hurricane Bill keeps rolling along. I'm glad you and the sheriff will be back again. If sales are holding their own in a declining marketplace, I'd call that a positive thing.

Anonymous said...

Good, since I have finished #14 (OWLS) and will be downloading Sad Words from Audible.com

B. Rehder said...

Congrats on the deal, Bill.

Juri said...

Congrats, Bill! Keep 'em coming!