Monday, August 17, 2009

Shadow Season -- Tom Piccirilli

I believe this one's coming out in a couple of months. You'll want to get your copy before it gets too cold because the descriptions of the weather will give you a chill, and if the weather doesn't do it, the story will.

An ex-cop named Finn, now blind, is teaching in an isolated girl's prep school. It's holiday time, and the school is further isolated by a huge snowstorm. When Finn finds a badly beaten girl in a cemetery, things start to go downhill fast. Somebody thinks Finn owes money, and it's coming out of his hide, and the hides of everybody left at the school.

Finn can't imagine owing money to anyone, so he thinks maybe the events have something to do with his past, a past we learn about in flashbacks as the book rockets along. This is an "anyone can die at any time" thriller, and if you think you've figured out what's going on before it's all over, well, you're better at figuring than I am. "All over" is maybe the wrong expression in light of the ambiguous ending, but we'll just have to see what comes next.

Piccirilli's been establishing quite a nice reputation for himself, and this book will only add to that. Check it out.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

And a darn nice guy that makes you want to read his books.

Anonymous said...

Tom Piccirilli is a fine writer. I've liked his stuff for a long time. Joe Lansdale

jj solari said...

I don't know if the book's any good but that cover's sure a winner.

Gerard Saylor said...

I enjoy Piccirilli's stories enough that I won't read your summary for fear it may give too much away.

I tried reading a horror novel of his once but the book stunk and I quit reading. I had a paperback version and it had that awful smell old paperbacks can get. Yuck. I kept thinking I was going to get a lung disease while reading it.