Monday, April 13, 2009

Mark "The Bird" Fidrych, R. I. P.

Former Detroit Tigers All-Star pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych dead at 54 - ESPN: "BOSTON -- Former All-Star pitcher Mark 'the Bird' Fidrych was found dead Monday in an apparent accident at his farm. He was 54.

Worcester County district attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. says a family friend found Fidrych about 2:30 p.m. Monday beneath a dump truck. He appeared to be working on the truck, Early said.

The colorful right-hander was the American League rookie of the year in 1976 when he went 19-9 with a 2.34 ERA. He spent all five of his major league seasons with the Detroit Tigers, compiling a 29-19 record and a 3.10 ERA."

Link via Rick Klaw on Twitter.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I am sick to hear this. My son discovered baseball through him in 1976. We were at Tiger Stadium when he pitched his first outstanding game against the Yankees. He was so much fun to watch though his career was short. A true free-spirit.

Cap'n Bob said...

Sad news, although I didn't care for his dopey antics. All in all a bad week for baseball fans. A young pitcher, a veteran broadcaster and a retired pitcher all gone in a matter of days.

Michael Padgett said...

The Bird uttered one of my favorite quotes from a baseball player other than Yogi Berra: "You know, you never know. You know?" I think I read that in one of Elmore Leonard's books, but I don't recall which one.

Unknown said...

That's a great one, all right.