Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Barsoom Update

io9 - Michael Chabon Signs On To Write John Carter Of Mars - Michael Chabon: "Andrew Stanton's adaptation of the Edgar Rice Burroughs pulp legend John Carter of Mars just got a new screenwriter… and it's one of the writers who best understands pulp science fiction.

Michael Chabon, author of such books as The Amazing Adventures Of Kavalier & Clay and The Yiddish Policeman's Union, has signed on to rewrite the script for Disney's big-screen adaption of A Princess of Mars, the first of eleven books in the John Carter saga. Chabon's previous screenwriting experience is writing a draft of Spider-Man 2, although only about a third of his material made it to the finished film."

7 comments:

Mack said...

I would love a good Princess of Mars movie but having Disney involved makes me a bit pessimistic. I wonder how they will dress Dejah Thoris. Wasn't she completely naked when John Carter first meets her?

Unknown said...

I have a feeling she won't be in the movie, not unless a lot of shadows are involved. That's assuming the movie ever gets made. It's been on the drawing board for 40 years now.

Unknown said...

wow...I really liked the Chabon I've read so far...

Here's hoping that he and Disney don't screw this up...a good adaption would be awesome

Mike Rea said...

I believe Dejah Thoris was wearing some sort of loin cloth/ skirt thing. So she was mostly naked.

Randy Johnson said...

I'm with you, Bill. I've been waiting so long now that I figure this is just another in a long line of teases.

Scott D. Parker said...

I just finished re-reading A Princess of Mars for the first time in 30 years. I can tell you that Dejah and practically everyone else wear no clothes. They have ornamental jewelry and belts for swords but no clothing.

This might assuage y'all's fears: it's going to be a Pixar film.

I'm reviewing APoM in a few days for Friday's Forgotten Books.

Mack said...

Thanks for the conformation Scott. When I read APoM as a 16 year old I formed a vivid and indelible mental image of Dejah Thoris. I expect Disney to give us a less revealing version of Princess Leia's gold bikini.