Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Health Update

On Monday I spent the day at M.D. Anderson getting a bone scan and a CT-scan.  Yesterday I got the results.  I also had a cystoscopy.  You don't want one.  Trust me.  

But on to the results, which were mixed.  My PSA count is higher than it's ever been, which isn't good; however, the doctor said it might be "reactive."  My bone scan and CT-scan results were good, with reductions in both areas, so the tumor might be, to use the technical medical term that the doctor used, "pissed off" and reacting by putting out the PSA to fight the improvements.  At this point, the chemo seems to be winning, so I'll be continuing with it even taking into account the PSA number.  I don't know how many treatments are left, but there will be at least one, and maybe more.  I'm feeling good, as those who saw me at Bouchercon can attest, and the doctor cleared me to go to my hometown this weekend to a memorial service for a high-school classmate.  I'm also cleared to attend the World Fantasy Convention in San Antonio next week if I'm feeling up to it.  I'm planning to feel up to it.

14 comments:

Jerry House said...

Good news. Hopefully cancer will have met its match with the Crider gene for stubbornness.

Jeff Meyerson said...

You looked good in Toronto and I'm sure San Antonio will be a piece of cake after that trip.

Max Allan Collins said...

I like the favorable sound of much of this.

Rick said...

Overall, I'm encouraged with what you've shared. Please keep fighting.
(Rick Libott)

George said...

Can't wait to see you and Scott Cupp in San Antonio!

Rick Robinson said...

Not much to add except head down, straight ahead, hope things get better.

David said...

Bill, make sure you get an MRI from time to time. Bone scans and CTs do not always pick up tumors and/or doctors will not see them because the imaging is not always clear. I know. Bone scans and CTs missed the tumor that is now killing me. Hope you continue to hang in there. Love the blog, one of my daily check-ins.

Unknown said...

Damn, David, I hope you and I are around for a while. I've had one MRI. Probably more are in my future.

Unknown said...

If the PSA readings suggest that the tumor is feeling the effects, that's gotta be bad for the tumor and good for you. Keep on punching, Bill.

Greg Daniel said...

Sounds directionally positive -- keep it pointed that way!

Howard said...

Darn, it's great to hear that you are feeling good! That's the most important thing -- the ability to enjoy life.

Richard Krauss said...

Thanks for the update. Great to hear you're feeling good.

Cap'n Bob said...

I take this as mighty good news. Smile, pal, you've earned it.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

All I can add is that over the last few years we have met several reactive prostate cancer patients. They all had it soar for weeks before the numbers fell back off the cliff. Hang in there.