Thursday, October 26, 2017

Forgotten Music: 'Rumble' Aims to Upset the Rock 'n' Roll Canon

'Rumble' Aims to Upset the Rock 'n' Roll Canon A documentary based on a Smithsonian exhibition is wowing festival audiences

The year was 1958 and some radio stations were refusing to play a song that was making its way up the pop charts. But it wasn’t Elvis Presley who was causing the furor—it was the similarly coiffed Link Wray.

They played "Rumble" on Texas stations until the grooves wore out.  I still have the 45 I bought in 1958 so I could listen to it even more.

2 comments:

MimiandMona said...

I listened/watched and was that 1958? Wow...a man/band years ahead of their time. Imagine what he/they would have done if they had electric guitars; wonder what they thought about the music of the late 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoCaFw_0MYY

Howard said...

I was a couple of years too young for Rumble the first time around, but I found it later, indeed much later. And I really like it, a lot.