Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Overlooked Movies -- She's All That

She's All That isn't really an overlooked movie, but since this is my blog, I'll call it one.  It was released in 1999, and two years ago the Weinstein Company announced that a remake was in the works.  So far it hasn't happened, as far as I know.  And why call it a remake?  The story's been told over and over in movies.  My first encounter with it was when I saw G. I. Blues, but it goes back at least to Pygmalion.  

When Zack Siler (Freddie Prinze, Jr.) loses his girlfriend, the most popular girl in school, to another guy, he bets his friends that he can take any girl in school, start dating her, and make her just as popular.  They pick ultra-dork named Laney Boggs (Rachael Leigh Cook).  After that you can plot it yourself.  Laney turns out to be a real beauty, Zack falls for her, she finds out about the bet, and the rest plays out just like it does every other time you've seen this story.

All that being said, the movie has its moments.  All the actors are attractive, and they give good performances.  Cook and Prinze are particularly watchable.  There are some funny lines and amusing situations.  For those of you who like teen comedies (and you know who you are), it's well worth a look.

10 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

What happened to Freddie? I haven't seen him in a while.

George said...

I somehow missed SHE'S ALL THAT. I'll look for a copy online.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Meh

Rick said...

Freddie mostly retired to be a near-full time dad to his two children with actress Sarah Michell Geller. He says it's his choice.

He occasionally shows up as a fill-in sports radio talk host on L.A.'s ESPN 710. He's pretty good at it.
(Rick Libott)

Jeff Meyerson said...

He was one of Jack Bauer's short-lived partners on 24 in 2010.

Deb said...

This movie is the classic "take off her glasses and let down her bun" on the plain girl and she becomes a knockout.

/"If only it were that easy," sighs my 15-year-old self.

Jerry House said...

In everything that counts, Deb, you have always been and always will be a knockout. I'm sure that everyone who knows you -- either online or in person -- will agree.

Deb said...

Thank you, Jerry! I'll remember you in my will.

Todd Mason said...

And, Deb, your point was made explicitly in NOT ANOTHER TEEN MOVIE, which mocks a whole lot of films rather well, including AMERICAN BEAUTY and BRING IT ON, but particularly SHE'S ALL THAT. (And SIXTEEN CANDLES, and CRUEL INTENTIONS, where Prinze and Gellar worked together...)

Todd Mason said...

I know at least one mutual friend of ours, Bill, who still has a bit of a media crush on Cook...