Friday, October 09, 2015

FFB: The Crackpot -- John E. Stockman

When it comes to offbeat and forgotten books, Ramble House has you covered.  The Crackpot is from Richard Lupoff's Surinam Turtle imprint, and it's a collection of short stories the likes of which you've never read before.  I guarantee it.  Art Scott recommended the collection to me, and he had a hand in its assembly.

John E. Stockman was a collector of comic books, Edgar Rice Burroughs books, and pulp magazines.  He also published a fanzine that included his short stories.  You can read more about him in the Foreword by Lupoff and the Introduction by Dwight R. Decker.  Then you can read the stories, all of which are told in Stockman's unique voice.  You don't have to be a crazed collector to enjoy the stories, but it might help if you are, or if you know one.  I, of course, am not one, but I do know a few.

Some of you who are more familiar with fanzines than others (you have to be of a certain age) might appreciate "The Crank," which is about "the madman of the ditto machine," Victor Vackie, a series character.  The ending is one that will surely make you smile. Well, it made me smile.  Also, the notes on the story explain the ditto machine and the mimeo machine for the whippersnappers.

"Old Man Teeverberg" is "A short sketch relating the retirement years of an old coot," so it naturally appealed to me.  Stockman didn't seem to think much of it, but it's highly appealing to an old coot.  Like me.

"Junior's Ordeal" is about a cunning plan that can't possibly go wrong, except that it does.  I liked the twist ending, too.

I'm sure this book isn't for everyone, but some of you might want to give it a try for its picture of a bygone era, its spot-on commentary on crazy collectors, and its humor.  It's great fun if you're in the mood.


3 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

I saw Art's original mention and it sounded good. But your review made me more likely to get it.

Jeff

Cap'n Bob said...

Thanks to the largess of George Kelley I have a copy, and I started reading it last night. I was a member of comics fandom during part of Stockman's reign and his style of "faan" fiction appealed to me greatly, although my association with it was mainly through the work of Dwight "Doctor" Decker.

George said...

You're right about needing to be in the mood for a book like THE CRACKPOT. But Stockman nails the mania around book collecting and the passion to impress other collectors.