Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Overlooked Movies: Walt Disney's Robin Hood

Okay, I know what you're thinking.  You're thinking that I talked about this movie last week. But that was Disney's other Robin Hood movie. This one's the animated version, and it's truly overlooked because, like the other one, people don't seem to get as big a kick out of it was I do.  Maybe it's just because I like Robin Hood movies, but I thoroughly enjoy this one.

Allan-a-Dale is back, voiced by Roger Miller, because when you think of strolling British minstrels, Roger Miller is the first name that comes to mind.  Some of the other casting might make you scratch your head, too, but they're all great.  Trust me.  Peter Ustinov is Prince John, Terry-Thomas is Sir Hiss (a character that really cracks me up), Phil Harris is Little John, Andy Devine as Friar Tuck,  and Pat Buttram is the Sheriff of Nottingham.  That's what we Texans call a Duke's mixture.  It works a lot better than you might think.  I'm not very familiar with Brian Bedford, but he's an excellent Robin Hood.

All the usual Robin Hood tropes are here: the archery contest, robbing from the rich and giving to the poor, Prince John taxing the peasants, Friar Tuck in prison, and so on.  And this time it's a musical.  I love the songs, and some years ago Jayme Lynn Blaschke gave me the soundtrack CD.  I think I'll play it right now.

Maybe I'm the only one who likes this movie, but that's okay.  I'm the only one who likes a lot of 'em.  You could give it a try, though, and see what you think.

6 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

If I can get Kevin to watch it, I will.

Kelly Robinson said...

I wore out my 45 of "O0-de-Lally" when I was young.

You've reminded me of the Peter Cook and Dudely Moore number "Allan-a-Dale" which is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I'm off to watch it for the millionth time.

Unknown said...

Ain't YouTube grand?

Konsumterra said...

my favorite dysney film - great voice acting but now i see lazy art compared to old dysney - some scenery i heard was recycled (onloy a bit)

Rick Robinson said...

I've seen it a number of times, and like it.

Brad said...

I know, Konsumterra -- I read they reused animation from Snow White for some of the dancing. Reaching way back.

I always found the mix of rural American and British accents confusing.