Monday, January 14, 2013

PimPage: An Occasional Feature in Which I Call Attention to Books of Interest

STARK HOUSE has published two classic crime novels under one cover.  I know I probably use "great" and "classic" too often, but this time it's really the truth.  Marlowe had the magic touch in these two, and if you like hardboiled fiction and haven't read them, you should order the book immediately.  There's an introduction by Charles Kelly, the author of Gunshots in Another Room, a fine biography of Marlowe, as well as a short afterword by Gary Brandner.  

2 comments:

Fred Blosser said...

Arguably Marlowe's masterpieces, although I'm also fond of STRONGARM, and VENGEANCE MAN has its champions. I read ONE ENDLESS HOUR off the rack in 1969 and paid little if any attention to the detail involving Drake's stay in a motel across Key Bridge from Washington, DC. Re-reading the novel many years later, the detail jumped out at me because I realized that Marlowe was referring to the real-life Key Bridge Marriott Motel. For a year in the intervening time (1973-74), my wife and I lived in the old Fort Bennett apartment complex within sight of the Key Bridge Marriott.

Unknown said...

I'm fond of STRONGARM and THE VENGEANCE MAN, too, Fred. Great stuff.