Friday, November 25, 2011

Headstone --Ken Bruen


When last we visited with Jack Taylor, he'd just finished dealing with the Devil (though I suppose Jack will never be really finished with that). That novel must have struck a chord with the marketing department, since this one is billed as "A Jack Taylor Novel of Terror." I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, since this one follows right along with the previous ones. Terrible things happen, of course, as they do in every book about Taylor. Each time I read one, I think that there's nothing more that can be taken away from Taylor. And each time I read a new one, I find that there's always something. In this book, there's a lot.

There's really no need for a summary of the plot. I'll just say that it involves priests, cops, a group called Headstone that goes in for torture and murder, some old friend and an old antagonist, along with many of the usual cast. Mix in plenty of violence, drugs, and Jameson; Bruen's poetic way of telling a tale; Taylor's ruminations on literature, the state of Ireland and humanity; and a breakneck pace. The result is irresistible to me, and apparently to lots of others. Not for reading on a day when you're feeling a bit down, however. You might not get back up.

4 comments:

Heath Lowrance said...

This one is on my wish list. Bruen never fails to amaze me, especially with the Jack Taylor books. He's gotta be the most messed-up and yet sympathetic character going.

George said...

I have a stack of Bruen books waiting to be read. HEADSTONE will be on top soon.

Cap'n Bob said...

Oddly, the only Bruen I've read was a collaboration. I need to remedy that some day.

Anonymous said...

Bruen does it like no other. Cut to the bone. No sinew. Sharp. Succinct. Long me he rule!