Friday, August 05, 2011


Living to see 100 is just luck, not lifestyle - Telegraph: "Academics studied almost 500 people between 95 and 109 and compared them with over 3,000 others born during the same period.

They found those who lived extremely long lives ate just as badly, drank and smoked just as much, took just as little exercise and were just as likely to be overweight as their long-gone friends."


E. B. Davis said...

Just as I suspected, Bill. My mother died of emphysema--she never smoked. She was mad because everyone thought she must have smoked. The facts are that about 65% of lung cancer and emphysema patients have never smoked, and since the remaining 35% smoked, there is no way to test whether they would have gotten the disease anyway. We like to blame people, and yet so much is nature. When we understand more of genetics, perhaps we can be a more caring and sympathetic society.

Cap'n Bob said...

There's hope for me yet.