Friday, January 30, 2009

The Beginning of the End . . .

. . . for the apostrophe.

The city where apostrophes ARENT welcome | Mail Online: "Its a little difficult to place sometimes, but if itd never been invented our sentences wouldnt be so easy to read and wed all get confused because we wouldnt know who owned anything.

But the apostrophe is obviously just too challenging for some.

Birmingham City Council has dropped possessive apostrophes from its road and street signs altogether - so St Paul's Square becomes St Pauls, for example."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have an apostrophe in my last name and there are a lot of computers that won't take it. Most things I sign up for online will not take it either, so I end up just leaving it out.

Danny

Toby O'B said...

My last name has an apostrophe in it and I'm proud of it. If a company's computer sign-up refuses to accept it, I usually just move on and find somebody similar who will. If I'm dealing with someone on the phone or in person, I insist that they put it in.

It's my name and I have a right to see it spelled the way I want.