Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ann Savage, R. I. P.

iWon News - '40s femme fatale star Ann Savage dies at 87: "LOS ANGELES (AP) - Ann Savage, who earned a cult following as a femme fatale in such 1940s pulp-fiction movies as 'Detour,' has died at 87.

The actress died in her sleep at a nursing home on Christmas Day from complications following a series of strokes, said her manager, Kent Adamson.

Her Hollywood career had largely been over since the mid-1950s, but she had a resurgence over the past year with a starring role in Canadian cult filmmaker Guy Maddin's 'My Winnipeg.'

Starting with her 1943 debut in the crime story 'One Dangerous Night,' Savage made more than 30 films through the 1950s, including Westerns ('Saddles and Sagebrush,''Satan's Cradle'), musicals ('Dancing in Manhattan,''Ever Since Venus') and wartime tales ('Passport to Suez,''Two-Man Submarine')."

Hat tip to Jeff Meyerson.

3 comments:

Kent Morgan said...

I read this morning in a piece about Guy Maddin in the Winnipeg Free Press that J. Hoberman of the Village Voice had named Ann Savage as the "best supporting performance of the year. Maddin said about Savage, "I'll never be famous as an actor's director, but Ann is just so cool, so fierce. I'm proud of the way she swept aside concerns about her half-century acting layoff and kicked serious derriere."

I can't describe the movie about my hometown as anything but weird.

Anonymous said...

The best epitaph was in Ian Cameron's book DAMES from the early70s: "One can't help but wonder how those who gazed on that face kept from being turned to stone."

bamgosoocom said...


Hi there! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the fantastic work!

my web page ➤ 안마
(jk)