Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Forgotten Films: Mister Buddwing

Evan Hunter's novel was called Buddwing, without the "Mister." I read it before I saw the movie, and in fact I can remember buying the paperback and exactly what the cover looked like. It has one of my favorites plots, the one where the main character wakes up with total amnesia. There's no murder, though, just a guy trying to figure out who and what he is.

The guy is James Garner, and the place he wanders around in is Manhattan. If you want to see the city in black and white in the middle '60s, the movie's worth a look for that alone. And notice the the women he becomes a bit involved with in wanderings. Jean Simmons, Suzanne Pleshette, Katherine Ross, and Angela Lasbury (Jessica Fletcher was never like this!).

The movie's a bit disjointed, but it's worth watching for the setting and the performances. The book is better, another of Hunter's big bestsellers before Ed McBain took over, but watch the movie if you get a chance. It shows up on TCM now and then.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I don't think I have ever seen this one but with Garner in it, I will look for sure.

Todd Mason said...

Given the rest of the cast, one really pities Garner to that extent...

Anonymous said...

Another of Hunter's books I still need to read. I associate this was other black & white movies of the mid-1960's like MIRAGE and SECONDS.

Jeff

Marsdon said...

This is also available from Warner Archive.