Tuesday, May 24, 2011

PimPage: An Occasional Feature in Which I Call Interesting Books to Your Attention

I'm a fan of Gail Fashingbauer's blog, so I'm happy that she and her coauthor have published this book. I'll be getting a copy for myself, and I thought some of you might be interested.


Generation X has been called an alienated and lonely generation, but if there’s one thing that brings them together, it’s a shared love of the pop culture memories of their childhood. In that nostalgic spirit, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO PUDDING POPS? takes a look back at the iconic events and products that shaped their unique generation. Authors Gael Fashingbauer Cooper and Brian Bellmont, college friends and adamant pop culture enthusiasts, have mined the battlefields of discarded paraphernalia to provide the ultimate trip down memory lane from the days when MTV played music videos and Quisp and Quake duked it out for cereal supremacy.


Covering everything from after school specials to Benji, Pepsi Light to “Hugo, Man of a Thousand Faces,” WHATEVER HAPPENED TO PUDDING POPS? lovingly and wistfully revisits the past, offering facts and “x-tinction ratings” for those lost gems highlighted by Cooper and Bellmont.


You might have seen it featured in the June Issue of Real Simple, but if not, check out this trailer which gives you a taste of POPS(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_yzvsXpTJc&feature=player_embedded), as well as their website (www.whateverhappenedtopuddingpops.com)

2 comments:

Deb said...

I'm older than Gen X, but I have fond early-seventies memories of Space Food Sticks (never ate them, but a boy I babysat had to eat them with his supper, poor kid) and clackers (those acrylic balls on strings that "clacked" together through centrifugal force--God knows how many eyes were put out by those things).

Ed Gorman said...

You know... three or four times a day I ask myself whatever happened to Pudding Pops. Does this tell you anything about my life? :0