Monday, January 10, 2011

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas

This Dreamworks "re-imagining" of Sinbad is a mash-up of the Arabian Nights, Greek mythology, and the movies of Ray Harryhausen. Not that there's anything wrong with that. And in spite of the fact that there's not a single unpredictable moment in the entire movie, I still got a kick out of it.

The mixture of animation and CGI creatures worked pretty well, I thought, and there were some wonderful visuals. The voice work is fine, and I was especially happy with that by Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michelle Pfeiffer. Anyway, when you have a handsome prince, a priceless treasure, and a black-hearted thief, what more do you need? An adorable bulldog? Okay. A beautiful, resourceful, kick-ass princess? Sure, why not.

When I was a kid, I loved movies with an Arabian Nights setting, and this one brought back some fond memories. Worth a look if you like that kind of thing.

1 comment:

Marsdon said...

Been hitting the $3 bin at Big Lots again Bill? Saw this title there a couple of weeks ago.I liked this movie too.

Stan