Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hunt Beyond the Frozen Fire -- Gabriel Hunt, as Told to Christa Faust

I believe I said that reading Hunt at World's End was like "reading" a Republic serial, so to use a similar analogy, I'll say that reading this latest entry in the series was like "reading" a good '50s B-movie, one of those about finding a civilization under the ice at the South Pole. It's not exactly an ancient civilization, though, and I'm not going to say any more about it. After you read the book, you can come back here and click this link if you think the idea's too far-fetched.

Naturally there's action aplenty from start to finish, as is the norm in a Gabriel Hunt adventure, some of the action is in one of the coldest climates in the world. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing, as my undying affection for Alistair MacLean's Night without End attests.

At any rate, Gabriel Hunt and his crew this time are faced with saving the world and having mandatory sex. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm not revealing anything more about that part of the book, either, but if you've seen enough '50s movies, you might be way ahead of me.

The scene on the cover is from the opening of the book, a sort of prologue to the main action. Crazed knife-throwers are always fun.

In short, another fine romp from Gabriel Hunt, this time aided and abetted by Christa Faust. Check it out.

3 comments:

Dave Zeltserman said...

nothing I enjoy more than a good crazed knife thrower...

Gerard said...

I did not read the post because I have not yet read the book. I just started the second one in the Hunt series last night and look forward to Faust's story.

I need to pick-up one of your books, Zeltersman. Roger Smith keeps giving you high praise.

Randy Johnson said...

Yep, liked this one as well.