Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Hunt at the Well of Eternity -- Gabriel Hunt, as Told to James Reasoner

If you were going to start a new adventure series in the tradition of the old pulp magazines and Republic serials, you couldn't find anyone better suited to kicking it off in grand style than James Reasoner.  Being a savvy guy, Charles Ardai knew that, and so we have the first book in the Gabriel Hunt series getting things off to a rousing start.

A mysterious woman shows up at a gala party at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  She has a couple of things for Gabriel Hunt: a whiskey bottle full of what appears to be water and the battle flag of a Confederate cavalry regiment.  Before she can give them to Hunt, someone snatches the package.  A fist fights and gun battles ensue, followed by car chases, motorcycle chases, airboat chases, lots more shooting, some mild sex, a bull-whip fight (with a nice aside), a fight on a plank bridge across a deep gorge in the Guatemalan jungle, and probably more things I've forgotten.  Things never slow down, so take a deep breath before you start to read.  You might not come up for air for a while.

I had a wonderful time reading this book.  I am, after all, the target audience.  But I can't see why anybody wouldn't love it.  It got a starred review in PW, so I'm certainly not alone.  Highly recommended.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

It's going to be my independent bookstore day order for sure.

Gerard Saylor said...

Christa Faust had a post mentioning she has an upcoming entry in this series. I checked out the Hard Case website and then ordered up Reasoner's entry.

I keep reading Reasoner's books without even looking for them. He does such great work across so many different genres.

Charles Gramlich said...

Well, knowing James, I was already going to buy this one, but now I want to put in rush delivery. sounds good.

Unknown said...

Yah, I saw this earlier in one of Chris Roberson's posts...certainly tempted...